Site Loader
Cheque Bounce Lawyer Indore

Dos & Don’ts of a Cheque Bounce Case in Indore; India

Dos & Don’ts of a Cheque Bounce Case in Indore; India

For the Payee (Creditor):


  • Send a Demand Notice: Immediately upon receiving the bounced cheque, issue a legal Demand Notice through a lawyer. This notice should inform the drawer of the dishonor and demand payment within a stipulated timeframe (usually 15 days). It serves as evidence of your attempt to resolve the matter amicably and strengthens your case in court.
  • Gather Evidence: Keep all relevant documents handy, including the original cheque, bank statement showing dishonor, Demand Notice, and communication with the drawer.
  • Seek Legal Advice: Consult a lawyer experienced in Negotiable Instruments Act (NI Act) cases. They can guide you through the legal process, prepare necessary documents, and represent you in court.
  • File a Complaint: If payment isn’t received within the notice period, file a complaint against the drawer in the Magistrates’ Court under Section 138 of the NI Act.
  • Attend Court Hearings: Actively participate in court proceedings and present your case effectively.


  • Delay Action: Don’t delay sending the Demand Notice or filing the complaint. Timely action strengthens your case and shows seriousness.
  • Compromise without Legal Advice: Don’t agree to settlements without consulting your lawyer. Ensure terms are favorable and documented properly.
  • Ignore Court Proceedings: Missing court hearings can weaken your case and lead to dismissal.
  • Make False Claims: Exaggerating the amount or fabricating evidence can backfire and harm your case.

For the Drawer (Debtor):


  • Act Immediately: Upon receiving the Demand Notice, contact the payee and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Clear the Dues: If possible, arrange immediate payment of the cheque amount along with bank charges to avoid legal proceedings.
  • Communicate Openly: Maintain open communication with the payee and express your willingness to resolve the matter amicably.
  • Seek Legal Advice: If facing financial difficulties or unable to settle the amount immediately, consult a lawyer specializing in NI Act cases. They can advise on options like seeking an extension or negotiating a reasonable settlement.
  • Attend Court Hearings: If summoned, attend court hearings and actively participate in the proceedings.


  • Ignore the Demand Notice: Ignoring the notice weakens your position and strengthens the payee’s case.
  • Avoid Communication: Refusing to communicate with the payee or ignoring their attempts to reach you creates a negative impression and can harm your case.
  • Issue Empty Promises: Don’t make promises you cannot keep regarding payment. This can be viewed as deception and further aggravate the situation.
  • Tamper with Evidence: Altering documents or providing false information can have serious legal consequences.
  • Neglect Court Proceedings: Missing court hearings can lead to judgment in favor of the payee and potentially harsher consequences.

Additional Tips:

  • Both parties should prioritize amicable resolution through open communication and negotiation whenever possible.
  • Legal proceedings can be time-consuming and expensive. Exploring out-of-court settlements can be mutually beneficial in certain situations.
  • Always act with honesty and integrity throughout the process.

Remember, this information is for general awareness and does not constitute legal advice. For specific guidance in your case, consulting a qualified lawyer specializing in NI Act cases is highly recommended.

Adcocate J.S. Rohilla (Civil & Criminal Lawyer in Indore)

Contact: 88271 22304

Post Author: admin

error: Content is protected !!