Site Loader

What legally you can do if you are a victim of Domestic Violence?

What legally you can do if you are a victim of Domestic Violence?

If you’re a victim of domestic violence in India, there are several legal options available to protect yourself and seek justice. Here’s what you can do:

  1. File a Complaint with the Police: You have the right to file a complaint at your nearest police station. They are legally bound to register a First Information Report (FIR) and investigate the matter.
  2. Obtain Protection Orders: You can approach the court for protection orders like a Protection from Domestic Violence (DV) Act order or a restraining order, which prohibits the abuser from contacting or approaching you.
  3. Seek Medical Help: If you’ve sustained injuries, seek medical attention immediately. Medical records can serve as evidence in legal proceedings.
  4. Legal Aid: You have the right to free legal aid. Seek help from legal aid services or NGOs specializing in domestic violence cases.
  5. Stay in a Shelter Home: If you fear for your safety, consider staying in a shelter home provided by the government or NGOs.
  6. File for Divorce or Separation: If you’re married and want to end the relationship, you can file for divorce or legal separation. Domestic violence is grounds for divorce in India.
  7. Collect Evidence: Document instances of abuse by keeping records of injuries, taking photographs, saving threatening messages, and gathering witness statements.
  8. Apply for Compensation: You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, loss of earnings, and emotional distress. You can file for compensation under the DV Act.
  9. Child Custody: If you have children, you can seek custody and visitation rights while ensuring their safety.
  10. Raise Awareness: By speaking out about your experience, you can raise awareness about domestic violence and encourage others to seek help.

Remember, you’re not alone, and there are people and organizations willing to support you through this challenging time. Don’t hesitate to reach out for help.

Disclaimer: This information is intended for general guidance only and does not constitute legal advice. Please consult with a qualified lawyer for personalized advice specific to your situation

Adcocate J.S. Rohilla (Civil & Criminal Lawyer in Indore)

Contact: 88271 22304

Post Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!