Site Loader

What to do if police refuse to file FIR?

What to do if police refuse to file FIR? Navigating the Maze: Your Legal Options if Police Refuse to File an FIR

As a lawyer, I understand how frustrating and disheartening it can be when the police refuse to register an FIR for a cognizable offense. However, remember, you have options and your right to justice cannot be denied. Here’s what you can do:

1. Assert Your Right:

  • Politely but firmly remind the police officer of your right to file an FIR under Section 154(1) of the CrPC.
  • Clearly state the nature of the cognizable offense you have suffered (theft, assault, etc.).
  • If they still refuse, insist on a written explanation for their denial.

2. Take Immediate Action:

  • File a complaint with the Superintendent of Police (SP): Submit a written complaint detailing the incident, the police station’s refusal, and your request for FIR registration.
  • Approach the Judicial Magistrate: Under Section 156(3) CrPC, you can directly file a complaint with the Judicial Magistrate who can direct the police to register an FIR and investigate.
  • Seek legal advice: Consult a lawyer specializing in criminal law. They can assess your case, draft the necessary documents, and guide you through the legal process.

3. Consider Additional Options:

  • File a writ petition in the High Court: You can petition the High Court to issue a writ of mandamus compelling the police to register the FIR and investigate the case.
  • Approach the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC): If you feel your right to life, liberty, and security have been violated due to police inaction, you can file a complaint with the NHRC.
  • Publicize the incident: In extreme cases, bringing media attention to the police inaction can sometimes expedite action.


  • Keep copies of all documents related to the incident and your attempt to file an FIR.
  • Maintain a calm and assertive demeanor while interacting with the authorities.
  • Do not lose hope, and persist in seeking justice through available legal channels.

Intimidation or apathy from the police should not deter you from seeking justice. As a lawyer, I am here to guide you through this process. Remember, you have the right to an FIR and the right to justice.

Adcocate J.S. Rohilla (Civil & Criminal Lawyer in Indore)

Contact: 88271 22304

Post Author: admin

error: Content is protected !!