Site Loader

How to file a maintenance petition in Indore?

How to file a maintenance petition in Indore?

Sure, here is a detailed explanation of how to file a maintenance petition in Indore, written from the perspective of a lawyer:


Maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) is a crucial provision that safeguards the financial well-being of wives, children, and parents who are unable to maintain themselves due to their husband’s or father’s failure to provide adequate support. If you reside in Indore and are seeking maintenance under Section 125 CrPC, this guide will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the process involved.

Eligibility Criteria

Before embarking on the process of filing a maintenance petition, it is essential to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria. To be eligible for maintenance under Section 125 CrPC, you must be:

  • Wife: A woman who is legally married to a man and is unable to maintain herself due to her husband’s failure to provide maintenance or if she is living separately from her husband without any reasonable cause.
  • Child: A legitimate or illegitimate child of a man who is unable to maintain themselves due to their parents’ failure to provide maintenance.
  • Parent: A parent who is unable to maintain themselves due to their inability to work and their children’s failure to provide maintenance.

Preparation of Documents

Once you have established your eligibility, the next step is to gather the necessary documents for filing the maintenance petition. These documents include:

  • Petition in the prescribed form: This form, available from the magistrate’s court, outlines the grounds for the petition and the amount of maintenance sought.
  • Affidavit in support of the petition: This affidavit, sworn before a magistrate or a notary public, reiterates the facts and circumstances mentioned in the petition.
  • Proof of income of the husband or father: This may include salary slips, bank statements, or tax returns of the husband or father.
  • Evidence of marriage: For wives, this may include a marriage certificate or witness affidavits.
  • Evidence of relationship: For children, this may include a birth certificate or witness affidavits.
  • Proof of inability to maintain oneself: This may include medical certificates, employment records, or income statements.

Filing the Petition

With the necessary documents in hand, you can proceed to file the maintenance petition at the magistrate’s court in Indore. The petition should be addressed to the Chief Judicial Magistrate, District Court, Indore.

Court Procedure

Upon receiving the petition, the magistrate will issue a notice to the husband or father, requiring them to appear in court and respond to the petition. If the husband or father fails to appear in court, the magistrate may proceed ex parte, meaning that the decision will be made without their presence.

During the court proceedings, both parties will have the opportunity to present their arguments and evidence. The magistrate will carefully consider the facts and circumstances of the case, including the financial status of the husband or father, the needs of the wife, child, or parent, and the reasons for the inability to maintain oneself.

Order of Maintenance

If the magistrate determines that the wife, child, or parent is entitled to maintenance, an order will be issued specifying the amount of maintenance to be paid and the mode of payment. Maintenance can be ordered to be paid in a lump sum or in monthly installments.

Enforcement of Maintenance Order

If the husband or father fails to comply with the maintenance order, the wife, child, or parent can file an execution petition in the magistrate’s court. The magistrate may then issue a warrant for the arrest of the husband or father. The husband or father may also be ordered to pay compensation for the period during which they have failed to pay maintenance.

Seeking Legal Assistance

While the process of filing a maintenance petition may seem daunting, it is advisable to seek legal assistance from an experienced lawyer. A lawyer can guide you through the entire process, ensuring that your petition is drafted correctly, the necessary evidence is gathered, and your rights are protected throughout the proceedings.

In Indore, several legal aid organizations and legal clinics provide assistance to women, children, and parents seeking maintenance under Section 125 CrPC. These organizations can offer valuable guidance and support in navigating the legal process.


Maintenance under Section 125 CrPC serves as a lifeline for those who are financially dependent on their husbands or fathers. By understanding the eligibility criteria, preparing the required documents, and seeking legal assistance when needed, you can effectively pursue maintenance and secure your financial well-being.

Adcocate J.S. Rohilla (Civil & Criminal Lawyer in Indore)

Contact: 88271 22304

Post Author: admin

error: Content is protected !!