Site Loader

How to get divorce by mutual consent in Indore?

Cosmopolitan city Indore is one of India’s most progressive and developed city in central India, blessed with a benevolent climate and very nice surroundings it’s recognized as heart of central India. The past decade has seen a mad surge of development, coupled with traffic congestion and rising pollution levels and more alarmingly rise in divorce too, at this pace be no surprised after Mumbai and Delhi it will be Indore that will have the highest number of divorces. Today stress levels have hit the roof creating a wedge between two people, pushing each farther away and they are just a memory to each other… some common reasons I have heard from my clients as a divorce advocate in Indore that they are unable to give time to each other, no sexual intimacy, communication problems, alcohol and drug abuse, small apartments to live in with In-Laws (Infrastructure challenges), lack of trust, infidelity, adultery, impotency and sexual orientation.

The fact is that today couples, who are well educated, after realizing that marriage has no future and they are virtually carrying on irretrievably broken down marriage and there is no possibility of reconciliation, after a calm and careful deliberation and taking their respective parents into confidence, couples decide to approach the learned court to seek a divorce by their mutual consent.

Here are the steps outlined one can refer to divorce lawyer in Indore

  1. India is a multi-religion country Divorce my mutual consent carries different process for different religions in India, Hindus are governed under the Hindu Marriage Act,1955, Christians are governed under Indian Divorce Act-1869 & The Indian Christian Marriage Act,1872, Parsis are governed by The Parsi Marriage & Divorce Act-1936, and Muslims under Personnel laws of Divorce and also the Dissolution of Marriage Act,1939 & The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act,1986, and finally for NRIs, or Foreign nationals who are married with Indians fall under a secular law called Special Marriage Act, 1954.
  1. Governing rules for couples to seek divorce by mutual consent are as follows
  1. Both Husband and Wife have mutually agreed to dissolve the marriage under no influence / threat
  2. Filing the petition for mutual consent should be done in the jurisdiction where husband and wife live ( document required to prove the jurisdiction is address proof)
  3. Both Husband and Wife are living separately since one year (i.e.. staying in different locations and not under one roof in different rooms, address proof is the document required)
  4. After filing the petition both husband and wife has to wait for 6 months (Cooling Period) to complete the procedure post which they will be declared divorced, but in a recent development in this clause a married couple may not need to wait six months for a separation order in the case of mutual consent and the marriage can be legally terminated in just a week as the Supreme Court on Tuesday 12th September 2017 held that the “cooling off” period in not mandatory and can be waived off.
  5. After the divorce decree is granted, they need to go to the marriage sub-register office and submit a form along with the divorce decree to cancel the marriage certificate
  1. Divorce is filed in the family court of the city; in Indore family court.
  1. The couple who plan to seek divorce meet a lawyer and share their concerns, post which the lawyer drafts a petition, collects signatures on a few affidavits and applications and depending on a date that suits everyone they decide to file the petition at the family court. Documents required to complete the filing are
  1. Divorce Petition for dissolution of marriage under sections and acts as per the religion
  2. Memorandum of Understanding (in case of child custody, property and assets etc…)
  3. Verifying Affidavits of both Husband and Wife
  4. Joint Affidavit of both Husband and Wife
  5. Application under Section 13 Family Courts Act
  6. Address Proof of both Husband and Wife
  7. Identify Proof of both Husband and Wife
  8. Marriage Invitation Card
  9. Marriage Photograph
  10. Marriage Certificate
  11. Valkalatnama
  1. On the day of filing, both Husband and Wife meet the lawyer at the family court, the lawyer verifies all the documents, and aligns them as per the requirements / process outlined by the family court, collects signatures from both husband and wife in the presence of an authorized notary,  affixes the stamps and pays the stamp duty (fees) as prescribed by the court depending on the act and section under which the petition is being filed. This process typically takes not more than a couple of hours and the filing is completed.
  1. The Filing department forwards the case file to the court after verification, If in case there is an error, or any document not as per the prescribed rules, or any other point mentioned does not meet the requirements outlined as per the act and sections the couple are governed, the judge raises an objection.
  1. The Lawyer is notified about the objections and the same needs to be rectified, typically 15 days to 1 month duration is granted by the court to address the objections. The lawyer then reconvenes with the parties (husband and wife) and collects all relevant information / additional documents and submits to the court. In case the objections are not addressed, the case gets dismissed and the procedure needs to be followed all over again.
  1. If there is no error and the filing is done following the correct procedure the court accept the petition, records the statements of both parties and date for next herring is given, this is typically 6 months from the date of filing the petition. There have been some cases where a special prayer is done by the lawyer and parties to wave off the cooling period of 6 months, but this practice is not entertained in all cases. The Supreme Court put an end to this practice in the year 2009, but still in some cases the High Court has granted relief form the waiting period.
  1. During this waiting period / cooling period of 6 months either both Husband and Wife or any one of the party can withdraw the petition, however the courts comedown heavily and wran parties who are withdrawing the consent after filing if the intention is to extort money or draw vengeance, more often than not such instances don’t occur and the process gets completed. The point I am highlighting here is the opportunity.
  1. After 6 months both husband and wife have to present themselves before the court to confirm the mutual consent filed earlier and in this cooling off period as well there has been no reconciliation, in some cases if there is an inclination of saving the marriage counselling can be recommended at the mediation center of the same premises in Indore, if nothing works out, the final order is passed and both are declared divorced.
  1. Once the divorce decree is granted the final step is to visit the Marriage Sub Registrar office and get the marriage registration cancelled. This completes the process.

A very important point to remember is during this 6 months waiting period it’s advisable for the (Husband) boy or (Wife) girl not to entertain any second marriage option or engage in a courtship, this is punishable offence and will entertain complications in the proceedings.

Post Author: admin

error: Content is protected !!