Site Loader

How to Send a Legal Notice under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act?

Sending a legal notice under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 is a crucial step in initiating the process of restitution of conjugal rights. Section 9 of the Act allows a spouse to file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights when their partner has withdrawn from the company of the other without any reasonable excuse. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to send a legal notice under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act:

Step 1: Consult with an Attorney:

  • Before sending a legal notice, it’s advisable to consult with a family law attorney who can guide you through the process and help draft the notice.

Step 2: Drafting the Legal Notice:

  • The legal notice should be drafted by your attorney and include the following information:
    • Your name and contact details (the petitioner).
    • Your spouse’s name and contact details (the respondent).
    • Details of the marriage, including the date and place of marriage.
    • Specific reference to Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act.
    • A clear statement of your intent to file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights.
    • A description of the circumstances leading to the withdrawal of conjugal rights by your spouse.
    • A demand for your spouse to return to the marital home and resume conjugal rights.
    • A reasonable time frame (usually 15-30 days) within which your spouse is expected to respond.

Step 3: Consultation with Your Attorney:

  • Review the draft legal notice with your attorney to ensure that it complies with legal requirements and serves your interests.

Step 4: Sending the Legal Notice:

  • Once the legal notice is finalized, it should be sent to your spouse through registered post or courier with acknowledgment due.
  • Keep copies of the notice and the postal receipt as proof of delivery.

Step 5: Waiting for a Response:

  • After sending the legal notice, you must wait for your spouse’s response. They may respond by agreeing to return or by contesting the notice.

Step 6: Filing a Petition:

  • If your spouse fails to respond or refuses to return, you can proceed to file a petition under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act.
  • Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing the petition in the appropriate family court.

Step 7: Court Proceedings:

  • The court will schedule hearings and consider the merits of your case.
  • If the court is satisfied that your spouse has without reasonable excuse withdrawn from your company, it may pass a decree for restitution of conjugal rights.

Step 8: Enforcement of the Decree:

  • If the court issues a decree in your favor, you can enforce it through court orders if your spouse still refuses to comply with the order.

It’s essential to remember that restitution of conjugal rights is a legal remedy aimed at reuniting spouses who have separated without a valid reason. The court will consider the specific circumstances of your case before granting such a decree. Consulting with a qualified family law attorney is crucial to ensure that you follow the correct legal procedures and protect your rights throughout the process.

Adcocate J.S. Rohilla (Civil & Criminal Lawyer in Indore)

Contact: 88271 22304

Post Author: admin

error: Content is protected !!