What is the procedure for filing a divorce petition in Indore?
The procedure for filing a divorce petition in Indore is as follows:
- Draft a divorce petition. The divorce petition must be drafted in accordance with the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. The petition must state the grounds for divorce, the relief sought, and the facts of the case.
- File the divorce petition in the Family Court. The divorce petition must be filed in the Family Court in the district where the marriage was solemnized, or where the respondent is residing, or where the parties last resided together.
- Serve a copy of the divorce petition on the respondent. The respondent must be served with a copy of the divorce petition within a specified time period.
- Appear before the Family Court for the first motion. The petitioner and the respondent must appear before the Family Court for the first motion. The court will examine the divorce petition and may ask questions of the parties.
- Attend counseling sessions. The court may order the parties to attend counseling sessions in an attempt to reconcile their differences.
- Appear before the Family Court for the second motion. The petitioner and the respondent must appear before the Family Court for the second motion. The court will hear the evidence of the parties and make a decision on the divorce petition.
If the court grants a divorce, it will issue a decree of divorce. The decree of divorce will dissolve the marriage between the parties.
Documents required for filing a divorce petition
- Marriage certificate
- Address proof of the petitioner and the respondent
- Identity proof of the petitioner and the respondent
- Two passport size photographs of the petitioner and the respondent
- Any other documents that are relevant to the case
Time frame for divorce proceedings
The time frame for divorce proceedings can vary depending on the complexity of the case. However, the average time frame for a divorce case is between six months and two years.
Cost of filing a divorce petition
The cost of filing a divorce petition is relatively low. The court fee for filing a divorce petition is typically between ₹100 and ₹500. However, the parties may also have to pay for lawyer’s fees, counseling fees, and other costs associated with the divorce proceedings.
If you are considering filing for divorce, it is important to speak to a lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand the divorce process and can advise you on the best way to proceed.
Adcocate J.S. Rohilla (Civil & Criminal Lawyer in Indore)
Contact: 88271 22304